6 Best Baby Carriers for Breastfeeding (Reviews 2021)
I know, you are looking for the best baby carriers for Breastfeeding! I also go through in this situation a few times back. It was a great mess at that time to find the best one for my baby. That’s why I tried to help others to find the best baby carriers for newborns; to share my EXPERIENCE.
The bond between a mother and her child is special from the very start. Breastfeeding and baby wearing are both beneficial ways to care, comfort, love, and nourish your baby all at the same time. The relationship that is built while sharing these special moments is priceless. Nothing else will ever compare.
Whether you’re a first-time mother or have other children, nursing your baby takes practice. Each baby has its own preference when it comes to breastfeeding. Nursing takes time and patience. Once you get a system down, it comes naturally.
Babywearing is another technique that looks complicated at first. Before you begin, you will look at the long fabric wrap and the intricate loops like it’s a PUZZLE of sorts. Don’t fear, it is easier than it looks. Within days, you will become a professional.
Now combine breastfeeding with babywearing. The benefits are numerous. Your baby will love it. Not to mention it will be convenient for you. You will be able to move around and get things done while feeding your little one at the same time. Yes, it is another skill you will have to master. If you haven’t realized yet, moms can do anything. You will easily master this, too.
The only question that remains is, what are the best baby carriers for breastfeeding or nursing? It’s a personal preference. It comes down to what is the easiest style for you, mom and your newborn. Here you will find the best front facing baby carriers and lots more.
- 1 Best Baby Carrier For Breastfeeding 2021
- 1.0.1 4 in 1 Baby Carrier Wrap and Baby Sling Carrier, Charcoal Gray Cotton,Ring Sling
- 1.0.2 Infantino Together Pull-on Knit Carrier - Pull-on Knit wrap-Hybrid Carrier for Newborns and Older Babies, Facing in Carry Position, Easy-Off...
- 1.0.3 Ergobaby Easy Snug Infant Insert, Grey, Premium Cotton
- 1.0.4 Boba Wrap Baby Carrier, Grey - Original Stretchy Infant Sling, Perfect for Newborn Babies and Children up to 35 lbs
- 1.0.5 Nalakai Ring Sling Baby Carrier - Luxury Bamboo and Linen Baby Sling - Baby Wrap
- 1.0.6 Baby K'tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier, Infant and Child Sling - Simple Pre-Wrapped Holder for Babywearing - No Tying or...
- 1.1 1. Boba Baby Wrap
- 1.2 2. Baby K’Tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier
- 1.3 3. Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling
- 1.4 4. Infantino Sash Mei Tai Carrier
- 1.5 5. Ergobaby Original 3 Position Baby Carrier
- 1.6 6. Sakura Bloom Classic Baby Sling
- 2 Advantages of Wearing a Baby Carrier
- 3 Tips For Breastfeeding in a Baby Carrier
- 4 Comparison Table of Best Baby Carriers for Newborns 2021
- 5 Final Verdict
Best Baby Carrier For Breastfeeding 2021
1. Boba Baby Wrap
An organic fabric baby wrap, lightweight with the thickness and comfort of a sweatshirt. One size fits all,
Boba Baby Wrap Carrier
5.5 yards of fabric to wrap around you. Although it seems like an extremely complex wrap design, after wrapping it a few times, it will become second nature.
It says to use only facing inwards but the good thing about the boba baby wrap is you can really use it any way you wish. This is especially convenient when nursing, as you can adjust your baby and the wrap to the side of your body, making it easier for you child to latch on.
Since it is a fabric wrap, it can still be used as your child grows. A soft, comfortable, and stretchy material. It is no wonder why this is one of mom and baby’s favorite choices.
Pros For Boba Baby Wrap
- Ideal wrap for breastfeeding
- Designed to use for newborns up until approximately 18 months of age
- Instructions included
- Comfortable to wear with babies weighing up to 35 lbs.
- No straps, no buckles, no snaps, all fabric
- 95% cotton, 5% spandex
- Some users claim the baby’s weight stretches the fabric so support is limited.
Using Tips of Boba Baby Wrap:
- Once you put the wrap in a washing machine then into the dryer, if the fabric seemed stretched or loose at all it will shrink back to its original size once dried.
- If the baby feels insecure at all, you need to rewrap and adjust how you are wearing the child.
2. Baby K’Tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier
The Baby K’Tan is an award-winning baby carrier. It’s a soft, comfortable, wrap style carrier without having to do all the wrapping. It is a sling, a wrap, and a carrier all in one.
You put it on as easily as you put on a t-shirt. You can adjust your baby’s position on your body so that your baby is comfortable. It is lightweight and stretchy resembling a sling allowing you to pop your baby in and out.
When breastfeeding you can feed your baby upright but when nursing a small baby and newborn you can also you the cradling position. The K’Tan ensures all the privacy needed for nursing. Yet, it does come with a sash so you can have extra privacy when feeding. The sash even converts into a carrying bag. Although, you can simply for up the K’Tan small enough to fit in your diaper bag.
Pros For Baby K’Tan Carrier:
- Come in different sizes to fit small and large moms and dads.
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Available in a multitude of fashions and colors
- 100% breathable cotton
- Double loop, easy to wear design
- No snaps, no buckles, no hardware
- Due to the various sizes, it’s hard to find a size that fits snug on all parts of the body (shoulders, hips, and chest) while still securely holding the baby).
Using Tips of Baby K’Tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier:
- If you are in between sizes, get a size smaller than what you would normally wear. The same goes if the carrier seems tight the first time you wear it.
- After wear and washing, it will adjust to your liking, feel and fit comfortably and like you want it too. As with anything new, it takes a minute to get used to.
3. Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling
A ring sling is one of the popular and talked about designs for nursing while baby wearing. The Maya Wrap is a long piece of fabric that wraps around your body tightly and securely. Once you have the fabric positioned correctly on your torso, you use the two metal rings to secure the fabric in place.
The only difference in sizes is the length of the fabric. Mothers that breastfeed sometimes prefer using the longest fabric. This way, mom is able to conceal her baby while breastfeeding. The Maya Wrap is known for encouraging milk let down which is great for nursing mothers.
This ring sling is also idea for colicky babies. It keeps them in an upright position lowering spitting up from acid reflux.
Pros For Maya Wrap Sling:
- It is 100% hand-loomed cotton material
- The lightly padded shoulder straps stay in place, making the Maya wrap comfortable to wear, easy to position your child, and fits properly.
- A bonus pocket to add important items to take along like a wallet, diaper, or keys. Eliminating the need for a diaper bag if you aren’t going somewhere for very long.
- Passed all safety tests and CPSC compliant.
- Machine washable but, make sure to air dry only.
- Only a few customers complained about the fabric, either it was too tight, too scratchy, or hard and rough. The parent didn’t approve of the fabric and the baby didn’t like it either.
Using Tips of Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling:
- If you are unhappy with the feel or the tightness of the fabric, keep this in mind. The fabric is made tight to keep your baby securely positioned, safe, and not bouncing around as you are moving.
- That being said, after a few days or weeks of wearing and regular washing, the fabric will stretch and soften up.
- This will make it both soft and comfortable for you and your child. It will loosen up some but, not enough to not snuggly keep your baby safe and secure.
4. Infantino Sash Mei Tai Carrier
This is my all time favorite baby carrier. Personally, I use the Mei Tai for my 6-month-old son. I love it and so does he.
The Mei Tai is a century old, foreign style of baby wearing. There are many ways to wear it. Do what is most comfortable for you. Plus, adjust the Mei Tai so it appropriately fits the size and age of your baby.
Your baby stays in an upright position. The Mei Tai is a wide piece of fabric which is used as the baby’s back support, two waist straps that tie at the back just above your waist, and two longer padded shoulder straps that you will wrap around your body and then tie.
It is easy to nurse in the Mei Tai. Depending on your baby’s size, you loosen the straps to adjust your baby to the proper level for nursing. Older children that are still nursing may even sit at breast level and no adjustment is needed to breastfeed. Some Mei Tai’s come with a hood for added privacy. It all comes down to your own personal choice.
Pros For Infantino Sash Mei Tai Carrier:
- The design gives the carrier maximum comfort and extreme flexibility.
- Extra-wide, padded straps
- Baby is kept in frog legged sitting position.
- Detachable hood used to protect the baby or to give extra privacy while breastfeeding.
- The sash adjusts to each individual’s body.
- When nursing a newborn or tiny child, even a preemie, some say the piece of fabric is too wide or too long for the baby.
Using Tips of Infantino Sash Mei Tai Carrier:
- To adjust the fabric so it will perfectly fit a small baby or newborn there are two different adjustments you can make.
- One is to roll the piece of fabric once or twice so that the fabric will fit the baby’s length and not be too long.
- Second, if the fabric is too wide to fit in between the baby’s legs then you can cinch off the fabric with a string. Tie it tightly to make the width smaller and tuck the string underneath the waist strap.
(If you watch instructional videos, you will better be able to understand.)
5. Ergobaby Original 3 Position Baby Carrier
The Ergo is one of the most popular types of baby carriers on the market. It is soft and extremely comfortable yet supports both mother and baby. The Ergo is an actual carrier, not a wrap. The padding and shoulder straps give the carrier tons of support enabling parents to tote their little one around for hours with ease.
Not only is the Ergo convenient and made well. This carrier was also made so dad won’t mind using it too. Moms need a break one in awhile.
It is easy to use, no complicated wrapping or hard to reach ties. Your baby is always in an upright, sitting, frog-leg position.
You can easily breastfeed in this carrier. Simply adjust the straps to position your baby at the proper mouth to breast level to allow for the baby to easily latch. Some models come with a hood for the baby if you want extra coverage.
Pros For Ergobaby Baby Carrier:
- Able for use for newborns to toddlers provided you have the newborn insert.
- Weight limit is 7 lbs up to 45 lbs (most baby carriers have a maximum limit of 35 lbs)
- Very safe for baby, solid positioning
- Comfortable to wear for hours if needed
- Machine washable, be sure to air dry
- Multiple carrying positions
- Baby’s weight is evenly distributed, easing any strain on the carrier’s shoulders and back
- The Ergo is too big to store in a diaper bag.
- It is difficult to breastfeed a newborn with the newborn insert.
Using Tips of Ergobaby Original 3 Position Baby Carrier:
- There is no point in trying to pack up the Ergo carrier. If you are planning on using it, just grab it and go. You’re going to be wearing it anyway.
- You can purchase an Ergo Winter Weather Cover to eliminate the need for your baby to wear a thick winter coat or snowsuit. This will allow the baby to still fit properly in the baby carrier without feeling bulky and uncomfortable to both of you.
6. Sakura Bloom Classic Baby Sling
Another style and brand of the ring sling baby carrier. Parents rave about this particular style, with numerous benefits, no wonder it is liked by all.
It can be used by either mom and dad. You don’t have to buy one to fit you both, it is a one size fits all product. The material is a single layer of Belgian linen. It feels delicate and pleasant, you and your child will both love the feeling.
You will be able to use this sling from the time your child is a newborn clear thru till toddler age. Your child will be content and snug leaving you completely hands-free and mobile.
It might take you a few tries before you catch the hang of how to wrap the fabric. You will learn how to secure the rings and adjust them to make nursing easy as can be. Take your time, it will come naturally. Breastfeeding is part of the female nature, now you are just throwing another skill in the mix. As they say, practice makes perfect.
Pros for Sakura Bloom Sling:
- Easy to store in a diaper bag.
- The linen is lightweight, breathable, and naturally antibacterial.
- Machine washable, be sure to air dry so the product does not shrink in the dryer.
- Easy to take the baby out of the sling and put back in.
- Comes with a detailed instruction manual, including pictures.
- Designed for newborn use up to a maximum of 35 lbs.
- The main support structure is only a strap on one shoulder. All the weight and pull will be on the shoulder the sling is positioned on. If you have a big baby or older child, all of the child’s weight will be on that one shoulder leading to the material digging into your shoulder or neck and eventually, it can become painful.
Using Tips of Sakura Bloom Classic Baby Sling:
- Stretch the fabric wide over the shoulder you use. This will give you more support and prevent the material from digging into your shoulder and neck area.
Advantages of Wearing a Baby Carrier
There are many advantages of wearing a baby carrier or baby wearing. It strengthens the bond between the baby and the carrier (mother or father). It promotes both physical and emotional development in the baby.
The bond a parent shares with their child is beyond comparison. When something as simple as baby wearing can strengthen that bond, why wouldn’t you want to do it?
Carrying your baby in a carrier increases the overall health of your infant. It allows the child to properly developing, growing healthy and strong.
- Decreases the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Decreases the chance of the baby developing flat head syndrome
- Aide in the baby’s balance
- Promotes neurological development
- Promotes early language development
- Emotional needs are met, your baby is calmer and happier.
You know you can breastfeed a child in a baby carrier. This allows for mom to get more done, not having to stop what needs to nurse.
- You can breastfeed anywhere, anytime.
- Increases overall milk production
- Nutritional benefits when breastfeeding your child
- Babies are calmer and ready to feed, they feel they are being rocked as they nurse.
There is nothing better than being able to get things done when you have a new baby, tired baby, or hungry baby.
- Mom can be handsfree
- Being in a carrier mimics the moving feeling of being in the womb
- Babies are said to be happier and cozier when close to carrier
Tips For Breastfeeding in a Baby Carrier
Babies love being held close and cuddled constantly. They say babies that are hugged more develop stronger physically, emotionally, and mentally. This way you can hold your baby close all the time. There are also numerous benefits to breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding while baby wearing will be difficult at first. It is best to have someone with you while learning. A helping hand to show you the ropes.
Learn Each Skill
Before you attempt to breastfeed in a baby carrier, you need to learn each skill separately. First, you must master breastfeeding. Nothing would be worse than having latching and positioning problems in the middle of a store. Next, master using your choice of baby carrier. You must easily be able to adjust the straps or easily fold the fabric.
Once you have confidently mastered each part of it, put both skills together. It will be a little tricky at first but, you will be ready in no time at all.
You quite possibly will have to reach in an opening at the side of the carrier to hold your own breast. Especially if your baby is very young. In the beginning, babies need all the help they can get.
If you have a large bust you can put a receiving blanket under your breast for support.
Wear Correct Clothing
You do not want to have to pull up your shirt while wearing a baby carrier. It is easier to wear a loose shirt that you can pull down, a tank top, or you can buy an actual nursing shirt.
Make sure your baby is positioned correctly. The majority of carriers will have your baby in an upright position. This way you don’t have to worry about your baby choking on milk or having a blocked airway.
Practice Makes Perfect
If you have mastered both skills but just can’t seem to put them both together right, keep trying. You will get it right. It’s quite simple. Watch video tutorials, read all you can, and most importantly practice.
Get someone else to view the process. A fresh pair of eyes can help you to see what you are having trouble with. This way, you will know the specific areas you need to improve on. Remember, keep at it. Do not give up.
Most importantly, be sure to have a steady supply of milk ready for the taking. You don’t want to tease your baby and have no milk come out. If you are only breastfeeding and not supplementing with formula, you should have a strong, steady flow and know what times are best to nurse your child
Be Confident and Ready
Be sure of yourself. It is true that your baby can sense what you are feeling. If you are tense, stressed out, aggravated, or nervous, your baby will know. If your child is not calm and relaxed, he or she will have trouble breastfeeding.
Comparison Table of Best Baby Carriers for Newborns 2021
|Image||Product Name||Features We Like||Editor’s Rating (Out of 5)||Buy Now|
|Boba Baby Wrap||
|Baby K’tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier||
|Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling||
|Infantino Sash Mei Tai Carrier||
|Ergobaby Original Baby Carrier||
|Sakura Bloom Classic Baby Sling||
If you are a mother that is planning on breastfeeding your child, learn how to breastfeed in a baby carrier. There are a vast amount of benefits in doing so. After looking at the best baby carriers for breastfeeding, you know you have options. There will be a style that suits your exact needs, one of the options is perfect for you and your baby.
Hands down, my personal favorite is the Mei Tai. My son loves being in the carrier and it is so easy to use, especially while feeding him. It took a few days and a couple of videos to master the carrier. Now, that he’s 6 months old, and a big baby, all I have to do is put him in the carrier. He is seated right at the perfect level, I give him my breast and he is happy. It is so simple.
You form a closer bond with your child. It’s healthy and safe. The physical and mental development of your child is proven to be better when breastfeeding and when baby wearing. All you have to do is combine the two skills and you have opened the door for your child to embrace a world of benefits.
You may also check our another article with reviews about infant carrier.