The jogging stroller is a great way to get some much needed exercise after giving birth and as much-needed to give your baby some fresh air and spend some quality time with mom.
These strollers differ from others by being specially designed for safety and movement. The look of the jogging stroller is quite unique as it will generally have one wheel at the front and look like a wheelbarrow in shape.
This design is so your baby doesn’t feel the impact as much when you are jogging on uneven pavement of gravel.
Why should you buy a jogging stroller?
A jogging stroller will give you some design features that will keep your baby safe from the movement associated with jogging. These features include large front wheels, safety brakes, and a 5-point harness to keep your baby safe and secure while you are running over uneven terrain.
If you are planning on taking the baby out for a jog, then you need to be aware that children under 8 months don’t have enough neck and head strength to withstand the jarring movement of the jogging stroller.
You should always wait until your child is around 8 months old and even then only jog on flat smooth surfaces until your baby reaches 12 months.
There are several factors to consider before deciding on the best jogging stroller for you.
Any piece of equipment like a jogging stroller that puts a child at risk of injury requires strict compliance with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). The JPMA will have suggested recommendations for the tire pressure, harnesses, tethers, and brakes among other safety features found on good quality strollers.
This feature is an important consideration because you want to enjoy the time you spend outdoors with your child without having to worry about inadvertent injury. Most manufacturers of jogging strollers will give an age requirement for using this stroller and it is also a good idea to check with your pediatrician before jogging with your child on a regular basis.
The wheels on a jogging stroller are different from those on a regular stroller. They are pneumatic tires that resemble a bicycle’s so they are designed for impact on uneven terrain. This requires regular checking of tire pressure so you don’t end up with a flat on your jog.
The jogger tires also come in two different modes; fixed and swivel. The fixed wheel stroller is the one preferred by those people who are strictly using this as a jogging stroller because there is no chance of the front wheel veering off in another direction when going over rough ground.
This belief that the fixed wheel is the best came at a time when the swivel wheel wasn’t quite perfected yet, and some joggers ended up with defective locking mechanisms. This caused users to lose control of the stroller.
The swivel wheel models have come a long way in safety features so they actually provide a lock mechanism for when you are jogging and the flexibility of movement for when you are doing everything else.
Adjustable tracking is very handy to have a jogging stroller because it eliminates the fatigue that can come from having to make regular manual adjustments to stay on course.
If you feel that the front wheel is going astray while you are jogging on uneven terrain, then the tracking system will allow you to make adjustments quickly and easily. This reduces discomfort and lets you have a pleasant ride with your child without worrying about the stroller getting away from you.
If more than one person is going to use the stroller than having adjustable handlebars will make it easy to adjust for different heights. Without this option, the person using the stroller would run the risk of losing control of the jogger and might also cause injury by jogging in an uncomfortable position for long periods of time.
The best running stroller will come with some other features that are important to consider.
Cup holders – being able to hold water or your favorite smoothie while on the road is definitely an attractive feature.
Speakers – these will keep your child entertained for the long road ahead and are designed for the maximum by only the little person sitting in the stroller.
Snack trays – this is a feature all strollers need to have as a nice container full of cheerios can keep little mouths busy munching on their favorite snack while you get your run in.
The following review details some of the best jogging strollers on the market today. Hopefully, this will help you decide the features that are right for you and your child. After this review, a clear winner will emerge.
Top 10 Best Jogging Strollers
Thule Urban Glide Sport Stroller
One of the great features on the Thule is the peek a boo window on the canopy that allows you to watch your child without bothering them. I really like this feature because it means I can look at my toddler without having to bend down and disturbing my run.
Another feature that is useful on this stroller is the flexible swivel wheel which makes it easy to use it for other functions like shopping or walking. You will really appreciate this feature if you use your jogger is also used as your main stroller.
- The adjustable handlebars are able to easily accommodate users of different heights
- The front wheel offers swivel and locked positions for different terrain
- The simplicity of the controls on the stroller makes it lightweight and easy to use
- The adjustable tracking is not easy to use
- The front wheel doesn’t provide very good shocks so it bounces around
- The stroller can fall out of alignment easily which makes it difficult to use while jogging
A great feature on the Ironman that you will appreciate is the suspension system that makes the ride on this jogging stroller smoother for you and your baby. You will appreciate this feature if you are ready to start your run and your child falls asleep.
Another feature you will find useful is the car seat adapter that allows you to move your child from vehicle to jogger without having to undo any straps. I highly recommend this feature because it makes transporting smaller children so much easier especially if you use your stroller for other daily activities.
- The suspension system ensures a smooth ride so your baby enjoys sitting in the stroller
- The car seat adapter makes transporting baby from car to stroller easy and quick
- The fixed wheels on this stroller ensure your baby is safe while jogging
- The lack of a swivel on this stroller makes it less flexible in use as other joggers in this category.
Mountain Buggy Terrain Premium Jogging
The Mountain Buggy is a rugged jogging stroller which gives the jogger greater control on rough terrain. You will really like this feature if you enjoy jogging on hills and trails with your baby.
Another useful feature of this stroller is the different wheel options it comes with. The ability to change your rear wheels from 12” to 16” comes in handy when you are moving from indoors to outdoor jogging.
- The ergonomic handles on the Mountain Buggy makes the stroller comfortable for anyone to use
- The peekaboo canopy window allows you to keep an eye on your child while jogging
- The locking mechanisms are easy to use and quick to adjust
- The brakes work well for uphill and downhill jogging
- The tires have a tendency to go flat quickly so you need to travel with a pump
- There are no reflectors on the stroller to make it visible to traffic
- It can be difficult to assemble
BOB Revolution PRO Stroller
The Revolution PRO is one of the higher end jogging strollers with great features and durability. One of the features I really like on this jogging stroller is the rear brake system. This system is hand-activated which is very handy for routes that have steep inclines or declines. The brakes will allow you to make small adjustments without having to struggle pulling the full weight of the stroller.
Another useful feature of this jogger is the one-hand adjustable seats that allow you to recline your baby if he is getting sleepy or push him all the way up to a sitting position if he wants a good view of the outside world.
- The braking system makes hills easy to navigate while jogging
- The sturdy design makes this rugged stroller soldier through any kind of terrain
- There is a lot of storage space which means you can pack extra for longer trips
- The stroller is heavy and bulky which makes it difficult to transport
Chicco Activ3 Jogging Stroller
A great feature of the Chicco is the suspension system which is attached to the handlebars. You will appreciate this feature if you are going from an indoor area to a park or trail. All you need to do is tap the mechanism and your wheels will lock.
Another feature I would recommend is the “never-flat” wheel technology which eliminates the need for pumping air into your tires. You will really appreciate this feature if you jog on bumpy surfaces which usually makes regular jogger tires lose air quickly.
- The tire system mean that they will never go flat and you won’t have to travel around with an air pump on long trips
- The great shocks allow you to take the stroller out on any terrain and still maintain a smoother ride for your baby
- Weatherproofing means that your child will not get wet if it rains in the middle of your jog
- Lots of storage underneath means you can pack for any eventuality
- The front wheel can stop swiveling which means a strenuous ride trying to keep it straight
- This stroller is very heavy and difficult to transport and store
- The tracking system doesn’t work very well and can veer in one direction
BOB Stroller Strides Single Fitness Stroller
This stroller is designed for fitness by coming with a fitness kit that can have you getting back into shape while spending quality time with your child in the fresh air. You will really like the exercise manual and tubing that his stroller comes with to help keep you strong and healthy.
Another great feature of the BOB is the suspension system which allows you to jog at full speed and still give your child a smooth ride with little bumpiness.
- The handlebar console included with this stroller gives you a great workout tool to get back into shape
- This stroller is very easy to fold up and stores easily in a trunk or back seat
- Suspension system makes this a very smooth riding stroller
- Maneuvers really well regardless of the terrain you are using it on
- The seat won’t go up straight for children who want to see surroundings or flat for children who want to sleep
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
A great feature of the Joovy Zoom is the “straight true axle” which provides a much more stable ride than other joggers in this category. You will find this feature helpful if you are on a bumpy road or trail while jogging.
Another useful feature is the “Ultralight” swivel wheel which makes this stroller flexible and easy to maneuver whether indoors or out.
- The rugged design makes it flexible enough to use on uneven terrain of any type
- The child seating area is large enough to fit an older child
- The great tracking eliminates pulling of the front wheels while jogging
- Ventilation system under the canopy allows your child to be comfortable even on hotter days
- The design allows you to maneuver the stroller for a more enjoyable ride
- The seat can be too wide for smaller children and some sort of padding needs to be used to hold them in place
- The jogging stroller is very large and bulky so it is difficult to carry and store
- Tires go flat often so need to be watched regularly
- The alignment is not always reliable which makes it tiring to jog with having to constantly pull it back into position
Baby Jogger 2014 City Mini GT Single Stroller
One of the features I really liked on the Baby Jogger was the “non-flat” tire system which eliminates the need for pumping air. You will really appreciate this feature if you jog on bumpy surfaces which generally cause traditional jogging tires to deflate quickly.
Another feature I would recommend is the nicely padded child’s seat that can be adjusted all the way down for a nap or all the way up for a full view of the surroundings.
- The rubber tires make this stroller work well regardless of the surface
- The tire system eliminates the need for pumping air
- The adjustable handlebars are easy to conform to anyone using the stroller
- This stroller has a sturdy design which holds up to 65 pounds for older or larger children
- You are able to fold this into a very compact package to make it easier to store and transport
- The hand brake is easy to use and great for hills or sudden stops
- Easily removable tires make storing your stroller easy and quick
- The tires are very heavy so are difficult to carry anywhere with the stroller
- The stroller is difficult to tip so going over sidewalks is a struggle
- The storage basket is small so you can’t pack too much for longer day trips
- This stroller doesn’t come with trays, they need to purchased as extras
Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
One feature I really liked on the Expedition is the compatibility with different types of car seats which make it easy to travel with. You will really like this feature because it means that you can save time by leaving your child inside their car seat when you go anywhere.
Another great feature is the wide handle which makes this jogger comfortable to use for all of the joggers of the family. You will really appreciate this feature if your partner wants to take the jogger for a spin and the adjustments are quick and easy.
- The tracking system on this stroller makes it easy to maneuver even when wheels are fixed
- The design is lightweight and easy to transport
- The reclining feature means more choices to make your baby comfortable during your runs
- The cup holder is very handy for water bottles or other beverages
- This stroller is very easy to assemble
- The tires go flat often especially after bumpy trips
- The back wheels have a tendency to vibrate when pushed to a jogging speed
- This jogger doesn’t provide good enough suspension for a smooth ride
Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect
One of the great features on this jogging stroller is the lightweight design. This stroller only weighs 30 pounds so it is easier to lift and transport than other joggers in this category.
Another nice feature is the “self-standing” capability when the unit is folded up. This makes it easier to store as it can just be pushed up against a wall or in a corner until ready to be used. You will really appreciate this feature if you are low on storage space where you live.
- The car seat adapter means you can carry baby from car to stroller without unhooking anything
- This stroller folds easily and packs nicely into trunk
- The stand-up storage capability is a space saver
- The steering system is easy and doesn’t pull while jogging
- Large handle bars adjust to accommodate range of heights
- The headrest is low quality plastic
- The stroller is bulky despite being lightweight
- The tires go flat often so you need to invest in a good pump
After researching these different units, I found that the best jogging strollers is the Baby Jogger 2014 City Mini GT. This stroller offers all the features and flexibility of a jogger at twice the price. The rubber tires provide great suspension and don’t need to be pumped with air.
They will also deflect any sharp objects that would ordinarily puncture a tire and rendering it out of commission. Features like the adjustable handlebar and superior suspension system makes this a great stroller for the whole family to enjoy.